Reverse Engineering: "the process of analyzing a subject system to identify the system's components and their interrelationships and create representations of the system in another form or at a higher level of abstraction."
Since we are definitely not the creators of sound effects synthesizing I would say that we have definitely reverse-engineered this concept. We researched on the design and implemented it to our own preferences. On the other hand, if we could have accounted for the noise and the un-portability, I definitely think that this precise design could be patented. Our design is very affordable and flexible to personal taste. If any user asked us to modify it to add any specific effect, it could be done on no cost other than programming time.
We were lucky enough to have all the parts available in the lab and to not need to deal with corporations to build our circuit. On the other hand, I ordered an ADC from Maxim-IC and obtained it (even though a little late) without any trouble at all. Also, our code was completely original, so we technically didn't need any assistance other than that provided by ECE 476.
It is very important to know and follow the IEEE Code of Ethics, since it ensured the correct practice of our field. Below are some of the points in the code that affected our project and how.
2. To avoid real or perceived conflicts of interest whenever possible, and to disclose them to affected parties when they do exist;
This point was met since the beginning of our work. I (Tatiana) wanted to use the 8515 for its memory and Gaby wanted to use the Mega 32 for its ADC and port availability. We dealt with this in a very open matter, since we've known each other for a long time, and came to a decision together that worked out for both our convenience.
3. To be honest and realistic in stating claims or estimates based on available data;
Gaby did the best out of both on this point. While I kept trying to make an external ADC and SRAM work with the 8515, he stayed realistic about our time limitation, and thanks to his influence I realized that the Mega 32 was a much better choice and that probably we wouldn't have been able to finish had we used the 8515, since it involved aspects we had never dealt with.
5. To improve the understanding of technology, its appropriate application, and potential consequences;
I dare say for both of us that in this project we finally understood in practice a great part of the theory we have learned in our undergraduate years. Before this project many aspects of DSP and op-amp circuits were really ideal in our minds without us knowing it. Through this project we saw many of the actual limitations of technology design and how to overcome and balance them.
6. To maintain and improve our technical competence and to undertake technological tasks for others only if qualified by training or experience, or after full disclosure of pertinent limitations;
I think we did pretty well on this point, and this can mainly be seen in our division of labor. While Gaby usually freaks out at the sight of hardware, I usually think I can program better than I really can. Therefore we divided the project according to our fortes and only interfered with the other's ideas when we really thought we were right in doing so. At the same time, in observing each other work, we saw how things can be much simpler than they seemed for each.
7. To seek, accept, and offer honest criticism of technical work, to acknowledge and correct errors, and to credit properly the contributions of others;
I would say as suggested above, that we carried out this point very well. Since we have worked together on many occasions, we have no problem on offering or taking criticism. Even though we each had an area of the project on which to focus, as it is both of our natures, we always looked into each other's work to see if there was anything that could be made better. As it can be seen from this report, I dare say for both of us that the credit has been fairly attributed.