This configuration was initially intended as an intermediate step to our final goal. However, as the deadline drew closer and closer... and as our problems started to mount, we put a lot of effort into this design.
The main difficulty of this design is the multiplexing of a port. We developed a handshaking routine to manage this, but we're not sure if this worked. We managed to include the limited instruction set into the buffer chip and the interface processor, but for some reason, we could not get this to work properly. We believe there may be a problem with reading in multiple bytes over the proprietery parallel interface.
See final2.asm and synchm.asm for source code.