We implemented all three phases of our proposal.  We had expected to finish the first two, but were surprisingly ahead of schedule and were able to finish Phase III as well.  We successfully received MIDI signals using the UART.  We then learned the MIDI protocol and used that knowledge to decode the MIDI signals.  For our second phase, we successfully timed the calculations needed for drawing the sheet music and the TV drawing of the sheet music.  In the third phase, we successfully transmitted a screen shot of the sheet music to the PC and were able to save it and print it using a GUI application we wrote in Visual Basic.


Of course we could not have successfully completed our project without help.  We obtained the hardware interface between the MIDI cable and the UART by consulting the optoisolator circuit provided by MIDI Manufacturer’s Association [1] and Nico Coesel [2].  To implement the MIDI protocol, we referenced several online sources, including a subsite of  For Visual Basic help we reference the Microsoft’s knowledge base [5].


Applying the IEEE Code of Ethics


In completing this project we are proud to have improved our technical competence.  When distributing the work load, we undertook technological tasks we were qualified for by training and experience.  We have strived to seek, accept, and offer honest criticism of our work from and to each other and the TAs, and have acknowledged and corrected our errors.  We are also honored to properly credit the contributions of others in the paragraph above and in Appendix E.  We have been fortunate to assist each other and other colleagues working on similar projects in our professional development as we progressed through the project.   We have been honest and realistic in stating claims about our sheet music generator system based on available data.  We have successfully avoided injuring each other or our reputation by false or malicious action.