Overall, our project was quite successful. Although we did not get color working, our underlying system design is still basically the same using 4-bit pixels and a memory-map compression scheme. The multiplayer controller input worked very well, and the game itself is fun and addicting despite its simplicity.
If we could start over, we would obtain the correct part for the RGB converter. We would also optimize our code more to get functional 4-player support, but we did not get to that mainly because of time. We probably also would have worked on getting a background texture in place. The system can draw it, but the tiling effect is unattractive without a larger texture size.
We started off using a video generation code example written by Professor Bruce Land. From there, we optimized that code further and then added everything else to it. We designed the Nintendo code based on descriptions of how the underlying hardware works. The video compression scheme was entirely our own creation (as far as we know). Although it is unique, it is conceptually analogous to applying different textures to a fixed grid of squares.
In designing and implementing this project, our work is consistent with the IEEE Code of Ethics.