Design Project Ideas
also past student projects.
Interesting web sites:
- Solar Power
- sun tracker
- solar powered uv detector with sunburn warning
- solar powered, remote controlled, water pump
- solar cellphone charger
- solar light-level geolocator/tracker
- LAB EQUIPMENT
- Speaking DVM
- Frequency counter: Auto ranging, potentially with pattern
- Noise/random signal generator with filtered spectrum.
- Sound/animal call recorder/playback
- Distance ranging device. Sonar? Lidar? Parallax?
- DDS impedance meter/ signal generator
- Tachometer using periodic sound/light
with signal processing so that no modification to the rotating machine is necessary.
- VGA interface for Mega
- LCD interface
- CONSUMER ELECTRONICS
- FM radio linked talking ondoor/outdoor thermometer
- Cat scaring device triggered when the cat jumps on the kitchen counter.
- Telescope mount: 2-axis motor mount to track stars, use coordinates
in elevation/azimuth or right-ascention/declination.
- A device to convince hunters not to tresspass. Perhaps a box which makes a loud scream when it hears a gunshot.
Or a network of devices which emit random, but synched, ultrasound bursts.
- data recording pet collar.
- programmable office door message unit.
- Digital Hourglass
- DCC model railroad controller
- COMPUTER SCIENCE
- Interpreted Programming language: Language parser/interpreter, programmed via serial
- Biological applications
- Haptic Radar (ultracound to vibration hat) also hackaday and youtube
- Coupled non-linear oscillators (fireflies, neurons)
- Networks of spiking neurons.
- Programmable Mini Keyboard for use with Computer Kiosk:
A five button mini keyboard that connects to a computer via USB where the five buttons can be configured as needed to send specific commands. Commands such as: Left Arrow, Space Bar, Right Arrow, Fkey, Fkey. Configurable so the key functions can be changed or administratively disabled. A working solution would be used to allow end-user manipulation of the ECE Display Corner LCD Displays. (2 separate units required, in a small footprint)
- SIGNAL PROCESSING
- Audio processing: Stereo mixer, surround sound synthesizer, equalizers,
filters, echo/reverb generators, music tempo extraction, music synthesis,
audio compression, spectrum analyzer, Fourier transforms, sonar, etc.
- Musical instrument synthesis: Karplus-Strong string, horn, piano
- Markov music sequencer with: directed learning or secoond order or heirarchical structuring.
- Speech processing: Speech command recognition, speech synthesis, speech
coding and reconstruction
- Fast Walsh transform or FFT or DCT analysis and display
- "Whistle Hero" to train someone to whistle.
Please send more ideas to BRL4@cornell.edu
April 11, 2012