< Main : High Level Design : Program Design : Hardware Design : Design Issues : Conclusion : Appendix >

# ( Design Issues )
Because of the immense difficulties we experienced, we have an entire section dedicated to "Things We Tried". Dealing with the motors and with wheel implementations were without a doubt the most costly in terms of time, effort, and sanity.
# ( Timeline )
First attempt, "Is that supposed to float?"

We found that styrofoam spheres made excellent wheels, but the motor shaft would eat away at the styrofoam after each rotation. Wires for the breadboard H-bridges also frequently came loose. We continued looking for a better wheel implementation, and felt it was best to use soldered H-bridges.
Revision 2, "The Tantrum"

Named after the previous owner of the wheels. The wheels fit well, but they were incompatible with our implementation for turning. "The Tantrum" was great at trembling in fear, but was capable of little else.
Revision 3, "The Cow"

We agreed that the styrofoam spheres worked best, but we needed something to prevent the motor shaft from eroding the styrofoam. We cut the sphere in half, taped a fork to the motor shaft, and taped the sphere back together. The rubber Lance Armstrong bracelet helped keep the two halves together, prevented the incision from becoming an issue for rotation, and increased traction.
Final Design

After testing the new fork/bracelet wheel configuration, we did the same for the other wheel. The right wheel uses a Lebron James bracelet instead.

4/22/2005 - Cornell University ECE 476 Final Design Project "LightRover"
Thientu Ho
David Shu