Bruce R. Land
214 Phillips Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853
1976: PhD in neurobiology, from Cornell University, Ithaca, NY.
1968: BS in physics, from Harvey Mudd College, Claremont, CA.
Positions held at Cornell University:
1997 to now: Senior Lecturer in Electrical and Computer Engineering.
1998 to 2008: Senior Research Associate in Neurobiology.
1992 to 1998: Senior Research Associate in Computer Science.
1988 to 1998: Project leader of Visualization group at the Cornell Theory Center.
1987 to 1988: Senior technical consultant for the Cornell Theory Center.
1983 to 1986: Senior lecturer in Neurobiology.
1981 to 1983: Nontenure assistant professor in Neurobiology and ECE.
1979 to 1983: Nontenure assistant professor in Neurobiology.
1976 to 1979: Muscular Dystrophy Association postdoc with Miriam Salpeter.
- Kai-Yuan Chen, Danial J. Joe, James B. Shealy, Bruce R. Land, and Xiling Shen (2014) A Bio-Inspired Spatial Patterning Circuit,
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2014 Aug; 2014: 86–89. (html)(ltSpice image)(ltSpice program)
- Eric J. Ching, Michael J. Carrier, C. Thomas Avedisian, James R. Young, Richard C. Cavicchi, Bruce R. Land (2014) Measurement of the Bubble Nucleation Temperature of Water on a Pulse-heated Thin Platinum Film supported by a Membrane using a Low-Noise Bridge Circuit, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 79 (2014) 82–93 (pdf)
- Friedman E. S., Rosenbaum M. A., Lee A. W., Lipson D. A., Land B. R. and Largus T. Angenent L. T. (2012). A cost-effective and field-ready potentiostat that poises subsurface electrodes to monitor bacterial respiration. Biosensors and Bioelectronics.Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 309– 313.(pdf)
- Rice, A. N., B. R. Land, and A. H. Bass. (2011) Nonlinear acoustic complexity in a fish 'two-voice' system. Biological SciencesProc. R. Soc. B, 22 December 2011 vol. 278 no. 1725 3762-3768 (pdf)
- Pulver SR, Hornstein NJ, Land BL, Johnson BR (2011) Optogenetics in the teaching laboratory: using channelrhodopsin-2 to study the neural basis of behavior and synaptic physiology in Drosophila, Adv Physiol Educ. 2011 Mar;35(1):82-91. (pdf)
- Kyle D. Wesson, Robert M. Ochshorn, Bruce R. Land (2009) Low-Cost, High-Fidelity, Adaptive Cancellation of Periodic 60 Hz Noise, Journal of Neuroscience Methods 185 (2009) 50–55 (pdf) and supplement.
- Gus K. Lott III, Bruce R. Johnson, Robert H. Bonow, Bruce R. Land, and Ronald R. Hoy (2009), g-PRIME: A Free, Windows Based Data Acquisition and Event Analysis Software Package for Physiology in Classrooms and Research Labs, Journal of Undergraduate Neuroscience Education 2009 vol 8 issue 1 (pdf)
- Andrew J. Spence, Keith B. Neeves, Devon Murphy, Simon Sponberg, Bruce R. Land, Ronald R. Hoy and Michael S. Isaacson (2007) Flexible multielectrodes can resolve multiple muscles in an insect appendage, Journal of Neuroscience Methods, 159(1):116-24(pdf)
- Kittelberger, J. Matthew, Land, Bruce, Bass, Andrew (2006) The Midbrain Periaqueductal Gray and Vocal Patterning in a Teleost Fish.
J Neurophysiol 96:71-85 (pdf)
- Elias DO, Land BR, Mason AC, and Hoy RR (2006) Measuring and Quantifying Dynamic Visual Signals in Jumping Spiders, Journal of Comparative Physiology-A, Aug;192(8):785-97(pdf)
- Gruhn M, Guckenheimer J, Land BR , Harris-Warrick R (2005) Dopamine modulation of two delayed rectifier potassium currents in a small
neural network, Journal of Neurophysiology,
94: 2888-2900 (pdf)
- Weeg MS, Land BR, Bass AH (2005) Vocal Pathways Modulate Efferent Neurons to the Inner Ear and Lateral Line,
Journal of Neuroscience, June 22, 2005, 25(25):59675974 (pdf)
- Land BR, Johnson BR, Wyttenbach RA, and Hoy RR (2004) Tools for Physiology Labs: Inexpensive Equipment for Physiological Stimulation The Journal of Undergraduate Neuroscience Education (JUNE), Fall 2004, 3(1):
A30-A35 (pdf )
- Grant, JB and Bruce Land (2002) Transcutaneous Amphibian Stimulator (TAS): A device for collection of amphibian
skin secrations Herpetological Review Vol 33(1), pp 38-41 (pdf)
- Bodnar, DA, Alex D. Holub, Bruce R. Land, Joseph Skovira and Andrew H. Bass
(2001) Temporal population code of concurrent vocal signals in the auditory midbrain J Comp Physiol A Vol 187, pp 865-873 (pdf)
- Wilson NR, Bodnar DA, Skovira JF, Land BR (2001) Processing of auditory midbrain interspike intervals by model neurons J.
Comp. Neuroscience Vol 10 (2), pp151-172 (pdf)
- Land, BR, Wyttenbach RA and Johnson BR (2001) Tools for Physiology Labs: An Inexpensive High-Performance Amplifier and
Electrode for Extracellular Recording J. Neuroscience Methods, Vol 106 (1)
, pp 47-55. (pdf)
- Abraham F. F., Brodbeck D., Rudge W.E., Broughton J.Q., Schneider D., Land
B., Lifka D., Gerner J, Skovira J., Gerner J., and Rosenkrantz M. Gao H.(1998) Ab initio Dynamics of Rapid Fracture, Modeling Simul. Material Sci.,
Vol 6, pp 639-670. (abstract)
- Abraham F. F., Schneider D., Land B., Lifka D., Skovira J., Gerner J.,
and Rosenkrantz M. (1997) Instability Dynamics in Three Dimensional Fracture, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, Vol 45, pp 1461-1471.
- Abraham F. F., Schneider D., Land B., Lifka D., Skovira J., Gerner, J.,
and Rosenkrantz, M. (1997) Cracking a Tough Nut With a Big Computer: A
Dynamic Brittle-Ductile Transition Using 100 Million Atoms, MRS
Symposium on the Statistical Mechnaics in Physics & Biology, Volume
463, editors: D. Wirtz and T. Halsey (Materials Research Society,
- Hedge, A., McCrobie D., Morimoto, S., Rodriguez, S. and Land, B. (1996) Painfree Computing: Use of a preset tiltdown keyboard system and new tools
for visualiziong wrist postures lead the fight against carpal tunnel
syndrome. Ergonomics in Design, Vol 4, number 1, pp 4-10
- Doerr, H. and Land, B. (1996) Using a DataFlow Language and the World Wide Web for
Scientific Visualization. Computer Applications in Engineering Education, vol 4, pp 161-168
- Hedge, A, McCrobie D, Land, B., Morimoto, S, and Rodriguez, S. (1995) Healthy Keyboarding: Effects of wrist rests, keyboard trays,
and a preset tiltdown system on wrist posture, seated posture,
and discomfort. Proc. of the hunam factors and egronomics soc., 39th
annual meeting, Vol 1, pp 630-634
- Land, B (1994) Teaching computer graphics and scientific visualization using the dataflow,
block diagram langauge DataExplorer. IFIP Transactions A-48,University
Education Uses of Visualization in Scientific Computing,
North Holland, pp 33-36
- Land, B. and LoPerfido, A. (1993) A case for scientific visualization in undergraduate
and graduate classrooms. Journal of Computing in Higher Education, 4, pp 3-11
- Land, B and Gillilan, R (1993) IEEE Supercomputing 1993, half-day workshop on Chemistry and visualization. Scientific Visualization of Chemical Systems,
Proceedings of the Conference on High Performance Computing and Communications,
pp 296-301. (pdf)
- Bartol, T., Land, B., Salpeter E., Salpeter, M. (1991) MonteCarlo simulation of miniature endplate current generation
in the vertebrate neuromuscular junction. Biophysical Journal, 59, pp 1280-1307 (pdf)
- Land, B., Harris, W., Salpeter, M. and Salpeter, E. (1984) Diffusion and binding constants for acetylcholine derived from the falling
phase of miniature endplate currents. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. (USA) 81, pp
1594-1598 (abstract) (pdf)
- Land, B. and Farmer, D. (1981) PRIMER81: Computer assisted training in reading skills. Proceeding of the Johns Hopkins first national search
for applications of personal computers to aid the handicapped.
IEEE Computer Society Press, 31 Oct 1981, p 102
- Land, B. Salpeter, M. and Salpeter, E. (1981) Estimation of kinetic parameters of acetylcholine binding
in intact neuromuscular junction. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci, (USA) 78, pp 7200-7204 (pdf)
- Salpeter, M. and Land, B. (1980) Physiological consequences of acetylcholine receptor and
esterase distribution in vertebrate endplates. La Transmission Neuromusculaire, Foundation Singer-Polignac, Maisson (pdf)
- Land, B. Salpeter, M. and Salpeter, E. (1980) Acetylcholine receptor density affects the rising phase of miniature endplate
currents. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci, (USA) 77, pp 3736-3740 (abstract) (pdf)
- Land, B. and Salpeter, E. (1978) Basis for computer program for mask analysis of EM autoradiograms. An appendix to Salpeter, M., McHenry, F., and Salpeter,
E. Resolution in EM autoradiograms. IV.
Analysis of autoradiograms J. Cell Biol. 76, 127-145 (pdf)
- Land, B., Podleski, T., Salpeter, E. and Salpeter, M. (1977) Acetylcholine receptor distribution on myotubes in culture correlated to
acetylcholine sensitivity. J. Physiol. (London) 269, pp 155-176 (abstract)(pdf)
- Gartner, T., Land, B., and Podleski, T. (1976) Genetic and physiological evidence concerning the development
of chemically sensitive voltage-dependent ionophores in L6 cells. J. Neurobiology 7, pp 537-549 (abstract) (pdf)
- Land, B., Sastre, A. and Podleski, T. (1973) Tetrodotoxin sensitive and insensitive action potentials in myotubes. J. Cell Physiol. 82, pp 497-510 (abstract) (low quality pdf)
- Mahbub, Syed Tahmid and Land B (2016) Real Time Instrumentation on a Microcontroller, Circuit Cellar Magazine #306, pp 18-25, Jan 2016
- Land, B (2013) Markov music box, Circuit Cellar Magazine #272, pp 28-32, March 2013
- Land, B (2011) Stochastic Chemical Kinetics on an FPGA, Circuit Cellar Magazine #253, pp 24-28, August 2011
- Land, B (2010) Floating point for DSP, Circuit Cellar Magazine #235, pp 46-53, Feb 2010
- Land, B (2008) Fast Digital Filtering, Circuit Cellar Magazine #218, pp 40-46, Sept 2008 (toc)
- Land, B (2007) Hybrid Computing on an FPGA, Circuit Cellar Magazine #208, pp 44-49, Nov 2007 (toc)
- Land, B (2003) TV Oscilloscope, Circuit Cellar Magazine #161, pp 20-25, Dec 2003 (toc)
- Engin Ipek and B Land (2003) Mixed-Signal AVR Simulator, Circuit Cellar Magazine #160, pp 14-19, Nov
- Land, B (2003) AVR Video Generator Teaching Programming and Graphics, Circuit
Cellar Magazine #150, pp 40-44, Jan 2003
- Ching, P. and Land B (2002) Light the way: An LED-based alternative to a candle, Circuit Cellar Magazine
#147, pp30-35, Oct 2002
- Tsow R, Land B (1994), Applications of transformed curves, Cornell Theory Center Technical Report 94-182, Cornell University, (pdf)
- Land B, Devine C (1990), Stereo Viewing Interface for Workstations, Cornell Theory Center Technical Report 90-027, Cornell University, (abstract)
- Land, B. (1986) Recursive drawing of a dragon curve on the Macintosh. Byte Magazine,
Vol 11, #4, page 137-138 April 1986
- Land, B. (1986) MS-BASIC Enhanced menus. Nibble Mac Magazine Vol 1, #6 july/august 1986, page 36-41
- Land, B. (1985) MS-BASIC toolbox windows. Nibble Magazine Vol 1, #2 nov/dec 1985, page 68-70.
- Land, B. (1985) A stopwatch simulation to demonstrate the Macintosh user interface. Nibble Mac Magazine Vol 1, #2 nov/dec 1985, page 74-77.
- Land, B. and Farmer, D. (1984) PRIMER83: A program for computer assisted training in reading skills. DYNACOMP, Inc. Rochester, NY 14618
- Land, B. (1979) INTERSTAT: A statistical analysis package for the Apple II computer. Serendipity Systems, Ithaca, NY 14850
- Time/Frequency reassigned spectrograms, Journal Club feb 2009
- Teaching quantitative neurobiology to engineers and biologists, Journal Club, sept 2006
- Modeling ELa and ELp response, Journal Club, Nov 2005
- Time series complexity, Journal Club, March 2005
- Technology for Grad students, 720 seminar, Oct 2004
- Math for Biologists, Journal Club, Oct 2003
- Spike Train Analysis, Journal Club, Feb 2003
- Motion Estimation, Journal Club, Dec 2002
- Spike detection and sorting Journal club, April 2002
- Parallel coordinates Journal club, March 2001
- Kelly Lecture Series: "Innovation in undergraduate teaching"
Nov 9, 1995
"Using a data-flow language to teach computer graphics".
- NeuroScience Teaching poster, Nov 2010,
Using channelrhodopsin-2 in the classroom: Optical stimulation of synaptic potentials at the Drosophila neuromuscular junction,
S. R. PULVER, N. J. HORNSTEIN, B. R. LAND, B. R. JOHNSON;
- Neuroscience poster Nov 2007
- Neuroethology poster, July 2007
- NeuroScience poster, Oct 2006
- NeuroScience Teaching poster, Nov 2002
- NeuroScience Teaching poster, Nov 2001
- NeuroScience poster, Nov 2001
- NeuroScience poster, Nov 2000
Cornell Theory Center demo at 1992 SIGGRAPH ShowCase, Chicago
Cornell Theory Center for IBM network 1990
2009 to now: Masters of Engineering Committee -- ECE
2014: MEng Planning Committee -- College of Engineering
2016: Kenneth A. Goldman ‘71 Excellence in Teaching Award, College of Engineering; Cornell
Cornell influential educator for Merrill Presidential Scholar Sang Min Han
2012: Michael Tien '72 Excellence in Teaching Award, College of Engineering, Cornell.
2011: Ruth and Joel Spira Excellence in Teaching Award. ECE, Cornell
2011: Cornell Engineering Alumni Association, Academic Achievement Award.
2010: Cornell IEEE Student branch, Best Professor Award
2009: Cornell IEEE Student branch, Best Professor Award
2008: Michael Tien '72 Excellence in Teaching Award, College of Engineering, Cornell.
2008: Cornell IEEE Student Branch, Professor of the year award
2006: Ruth and Joel Spira Excellence in Teaching Award. ECE, Cornell
2005: Cornell IEEE Student Branch, Outstanding Professor of the Year award
2004: Robert '55 and Vanne '57 Cowie Excellence in Teaching Award. College of Engineering,
1996: First place in the Instructional Materials (Web-based) competition of
the ACM SIGUCCS User Services Conference XXIV.
Cornell influential educator for Merrill Presidential Scholar Michael Arcuri
1993: Faculty of the year teaching award, given by the Association of
Computer Science Undergraduates at Cornell University.
1986: U.S. Patent 4,765,737 for a cell-sizing circuit installed in a FACS440 laser cell sorter.
1981: Regional level winner of the Johns Hopkins first
national search for computing to aid the handicapped.